Monday, September 24, 2007

MyRAWK member (theALBERTUS) visits East of Anfield in Singapore

Post visit commentary by Albertus Lim (MyRAWK) on field visit to Singapore: East of Anfield September 22, 2007

On the arrangment made by MyRAWK members in conjunction with East of Anfield in Singapore, I arrived at the much famed home ground of East of Anfield, The Cavern. With feelings of trepidations and nervousness, I was actually sweating more than usual. However, that did not stop my mission of understanding how the EoA operates as a supporters' club for our beloved Liverpool FC on behalf of MyRAWK. The visit also coincides with the game at Anfield against Birmingham City. Huge expectation as they are one of our the bogey teams in the EPL, but in the FA CUP, we thrashed them.

A big thanks and shout out to the members of MyRAWK and the members of EoA for making my visit eventful. First and foremost, Anand and Jan, you guys made my stay worthwhile. Anand, I thank you for being the gracious host. Jan, you made me feel at home at The Cavern. Thanks you guys, really thanks a bunch!

This picture above is the home of the East of Anfield, The Cavern adressed on Boat Quay. Where is it? Well just tell the cab driver to go to Boat Quay.


In honor of our Greek warriors in 2007


Here I am with the flag of the 5 stars of LFC: We're the 5 times European Champs! "We did it 5 times! We did it 5 times!" The fifth star, sorry, that's me!


Yes! Yes! The size does say it all! Me and my Hoegarden with Anand and his Heineken. This picture was taken by another couple who were scousers! YNWA! Also, the beer is my first of 3 pints.


Yes, and from Kuala Lumpur I came to visit the temple of LFC in Singapore, EoA. The banner sums it up - a welcoming message to all LFC fans who travel afar and spend time to watch the game.


It is an EoA tradition to sing YNWA before and after every game. We formed a circle in the bar and swayed left and right to the tune of our hymn. Everyone belted their hearts out for our beloved Liverpool FC. The guy with his scarf proudly raised high above his head is Jan. You lots rock!


And here I am, managing to sneak in a photo shot while belting out YNWA.


Walk on through the rain, Walk on with hope in your heart and YOu'll Never Walk Alone! One can only imagine what Anfield would be like. Imagine this but x 40,000 times! (Not to mention the EoA rendition of Arbeloa, Riise, Torres, Gerrard, Carragher, Best Midfield in the World, Scouser Tommy and Fields of Anfield Road)


And with that, I called it a night. Though we drew the match and feeling hugely disappointed, We'll Never Walk Alone. To my host Anand, a big heart-felt thank you for everything. You made my visit and understanding of EoA worthwhile. Lastly to Jan for the great hospitality and teaching KLites a thing or two about being a dynamic club!

So with that, as a member of MyRAWK, I welcome all and any EoA members to come to KL to visit us at MyRAWK as we look towards more cultural exchanges and visitations. Also, we recommened any LFC member who is going to Singapore and would like to watch a game but do not know where to go to Boat Quay and look for a place called The Cavern. Ask for Anand, Jan or Marek. Its an experience I shall never forget.

4 comments:

mark said...

Top stuff buddy! Looks like you had a good time there. Am itching to make a trip myself. Perhaps we should organise a trip down south after all! Oh and the hot women in Singapore are a source of motivation as well.

Jon-C said...

I miss my daily binge drinking session in SG when i was there last year. Yep, agree with Mark - maybe it's time to plan a trip down south.

theALBERTUS said...

Cools man! the chicks were hot and the booze was ok priced but must go with an EoA if not expensive or something like that. Sure or not Jonno? NATO kan!

TQ said...

glad u met anand and the eoa guys, and enjoyed the trip. we hv much to learn frm them and lotsa work on our part with MyRawk. but its a start and mebbe with more ideas, we can get somewhere...